The WMGA is always looking for increased participation in our junior golf program!
Junior membership is available to any girl who:
- is not yet 19 by the first day of the calendar year and has not started college, and
- is a member [or whose parent/guardian is a member] of a Member Club.
- No USGA Handicap required.
Junior Fellowship Membership. The goal of this program is to identify passionate, competitive junior golfers and award them a Fellowship into the WMGA. A junior girl may apply for this Fellowship who:
- is at least 12 years of age and has not reached her 19th birthday by the first day of the calendar year and has not started college, and
- is NOT a member of a Member Club and whose parent or guardian is NOT a member of a Member Club, and
- has an active USGA Handicap of 14.0 or less, and
- lives in the Metropolitan area.
The opportunities afforded our junior members vary, however, depending upon their skill level.
1. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 14.0 or less, are eligible for all Class “A” tournaments, team matches and may also be sought for invitationals, such
2. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 23.0 or less, are eligible to play in the spring team matches if registered before December 1st. However, these competitions take place on school days.
3. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 14.1 and above, may participate in our Class “B” tournaments subject to the discretion of the Junior Chair.
4. Junior girls without a handicap may participate in our Family tournament: Father/Daughter, Sister/Sister and Brother/Sister.
There are 3 tournaments sponsored specifically for Junior girls each year by the WMGA:
1. The Junior Intercity Tournament is an invitational tournament for the very best of our junior WMGA members who are under 19 as of the tournament. The Junior Chair with WMGA Board approval selects the team of 6 players. The tournament is played against the elite junior girls from Massachusetts and Philadelphia. The venue rotates each year and there is overnight travel involved.
2. The Maureen Orcutt Trophy Tournament with both an 18-hole and a 9-hole
3. The Junior Girls’ Open Championship with both an 18-hole and a 9-hole division is for any girl [WMGA Membership not required] who has not reached her 19th birthday by the first day of the tournament and has not started college and lives in the Metropolitan area. After the tournament, there is a lunch at which the winners are recognized.
Become A Volunteer
Are you interested in helping the WMGA run tournaments this season? Sign up here and we will be in touch with you shortly.