Junior Membership Guidelines
The WMGA is always looking for increased participation in our junior golf program. There are no dues for Junior Membership.
Junior Membership is available to any girl who:
- is not yet 19 by the first day of the calendar year, and
- is a member [or whose parent/guardian is a member] of a Member Club.
- No USGA Handicap required.
Junior Independent Membership is available to any girl who is not a member of a Member Club with a maximum USGA Handicap Index of 25.0, and meets two of the following criteria:
- Resident address is within WMGA territory.
- Holds a USGA Handicap Index serviced by a local organization (MGA, NJSGA, or CSGA).
- Majority of rounds of golf posted over the previous year, in season, must be within the WMGA territory.
The opportunities afforded our junior members vary, however, depending upon their skill level.
1. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 14.0 or less, are eligible for all Class “A” tournaments, team matches* and may also be sought for invitationals, such
2. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 25.0 or less, are eligible to play in the spring team matches if registered before December 15th. However, these competitions take place on school days.
3. Junior girls with a Handicap Index of 14.1 and above, may participate in our Class “B” tournaments subject to the discretion of the Junior Chair.
4. Junior girls without a handicap may participate in our Family tournament: Father/Daughter, Sister/Sister and Brother/Sister.
*Junior Independent Members may not participate in Team Matches.
There are 3 tournaments sponsored specifically for Junior girls each year by the WMGA:
1. The Junior Intercity Tournament is an invitational tournament for the very best of our junior WMGA members who are under 19 as of the tournament. The Junior Chair with WMGA Board approval selects the team of 6 players. The tournament is played against the elite junior girls from Massachusetts and Philadelphia. The venue rotates each year and there is overnight travel involved.
2. The Maureen Orcutt Trophy Tournament with both an 18-hole and a 9-hole
3. The Junior Girls’ Open Championship with both an 18-hole and a 9-hole division is for any girl [WMGA Membership not required] who has not reached her 19th birthday by the first day of the tournament and has not started college and lives in the Metropolitan area. After the tournament, there is a lunch at which the winners are recognized.
Become A Volunteer
Are you interested in helping the WMGA run tournaments this season? Sign up here and we will be in touch with you shortly.